Whether you’re Irish, Irish at heart, or simply enjoy any excuse to celebrate any and every holiday, I made these easy peasy mini dessert treats – a sweet ending to any brunch or dinner but especially a St. Patrick’s day celebration!
These irresistible chocolate-mint combo mini cups are adorable and are filled with layers of light, creamy and crispy textures. They have a light flavor due to the combined two favorites of chocolate pudding and Cool Whip – creating a light mouse texture.
To create a pale green hue, I added a couple of drops of green food coloring to a portion of the Cool Whip. The fillo shell cups are topped with mint ANDES chocolates and for that gold festive detail, the mini dessert treats are sprinkled with decorative gold sanding sugar.
- 1 box, Athens Mini Fillo Shells
- 1 box, JELL-O Instant Chocolate Pudding
- 2 cups cold Milk
- ½ cup Cool Whip, divided
- ½ tsp., Jacquin's Creme de Menthe (if serving for adults) or Peppermint Extract
- 1-3 drops Green liquid food coloring
- ANDES chocolates, broken in half and gold sanding sugar for garnishing
- **NOTE: you will have extra chocolate pudding leftover, you can therefore insert pudding in cups. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Begin by removing your Cool Whip from the freezer and let unthaw.
- Remove the mini Fillo Shells from the package and place them on a large surface (you can use parchment paper to prepare them or a baking sheet pan.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together pudding mix and cold milk. Let stand for 5 minutes. While pudding is setting, scoop ½ cup of Cool Whip into a small bowl. From that bowl, remove ¼ cup of Cool Whip into another small bowl and set aside. Fold in the remaining Cool Whip into the Pudding mixture and set aside.
- In the bowl of the ¼ cup Cool Whip, to that, add ½ tsp of mint flavor and 1-3 drops of green food coloring into whipped cream until blended. (To get a light pale green color, use only 2 drops). The more drops you add, the darker the color.
- If you don't have a piping bag, spoon prepared Cool Whip into a sandwich bag. Take your scissors and cut across the bottom of the bag to create your frosting tip of a very small size. Set aside.
- Spoon into the mini Fillo Shells.
- Top each pudding filled Fillo Shell by squeezing your prepared Cool Whip gradually. You can take a fork and create swirls (optional).
- Remove the ANDES chocolates from wrappers and break each one in half. Then top each filled Fillo Cup with each half of an ANDES chocolate. Garnish with gold sanding sugar.
- Display your prepared Mini Fillo Cups on a decorative platter, serve and enjoy.
- These can be refrigerated in an air-tight storage container.
End your St. Patrick’s day celebration on a sweet note that kids and adults alike will enjoy!
P.S. Tune in to tomorrow’s post, where I will be sharing my St. Patrick’s day tablescape inspired by the traditional colors of green and gold!
Photos + Recipe by Rose Angel Lopez
Leave a Reply