For an easy and light springtime dessert, I made these ‘Custard Fruit Puff Pastry Shells’ over the weekend. A flaky pastry topped with a vanilla flavored custard, fresh raspberries, blackberries, blueberries or you can even add slices of strawberries or kiwi. These delightful bite-sized desserts can be added to your brunch menu or to serve as an afternoon treat!
To view another dessert recipe I created, using Puff Pastry Shells, click here.
- 1 Package of Puff Pastry Shells
- Fresh Raspberries
- Fresh Blackberries
- Fresh Blueberries
- FOR THE CUSTARD CREAM:
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp pure cornstarch
- ⅓ heavy whipping cream, whipped
- PUFF PASTRY SHELLS: follow the instructions on the box
- CUSTARD CREAM:
- Combine milk and vanilla extract in a small saucepan; bring to a slow boil.
- Meanwhile, beat egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl with electric mixer until thick. With motor operating, gradually beat in hot milk mixture.
- Return custard to the saucepan; stir over low heat until mixture boils and thickens.
- Pour custard into a glass bowl, cover surface of custard with plastic wrap, refrigerate 1 hour.
- After an hour remove plastic wrap and fold whipped whipping cream into custard, in two batches.
- Using a paring knife, cut the perforated circles along the top of each pastry shell and discard tops.
- Add a spoonful of custard to each pastry shell and top with fruit.
- Sprinkle some confectioners' sugar (optional) and serve
Leave a Reply